Montreal anti-police brutality demo ends with at least 2 arrests

An annual event against police brutality unfolded in Montreal on March 15, 2019.

An annual demonstration against police brutality has ended with at least two arrests after Montreal police ordered protesters to leave the downtown core on Friday evening.

Police spokesperson Manuel Anglade said so far one person was arrested for making threats against a police office and a second person was arrested for mischief.

No injuries were reported, he added.

READ MORE: Vandalism brings quick end to Montreal anti-police brutality march

Earlier in the evening, police said they had witnessed “illegal behaviour” from protesters and asked them to disperse. During the demonstration, a Global News cameraman was also rushed by a protester. He is unharmed.

“Due to offences committed during the demonstration, we order everyone to disperse and leave the area,” the city’s police force said on social media. “Otherwise, we will have to intervene.”

The public was also advised to steer clear of the area near Crescent, de Maisonneuve, McGill and René-Lévesque streets.

The annual event began at 6 p.m. near Guy-Concordia Metro station before the group of demonstrators took to the streets. They made their way through downtown amid heavy police presence.

Montrealers attend the protest each year on March 15 to denounce what they describe as systemic, racial and political profiling by the city’s police force.

In 2018, the demonstration came to a quick end after shop windows were vandalized.

READ MORE: Sylvain Caron sworn in as new Montreal police chief

— With files from The Canadian Press

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories